Monday, June 24, 2013

Hey girls!, and others

We are not all Man Mankind, Mrs His Name and whatever other degrading descriptions can be put on us to turn us into side kicks of the human race which are entitled to less that Man is. We have a right to respect in language, as well as everything else.

By me, on a comment made by Monica Wallis, in response to my objection to us all being masculinised  by default.

'' I'm personally okay with the "hey guys" thing'' - You shouldn't be. It censors women out of the written and spoken word, in the same way as calling everybody man does. It is no accident, that these words which are supposed to be gender neutral are the masculine words. People really have no idea how much this actually affects the human psychology of how women are seen.

By Monica Wallis

I realize it with almost all other terminology (it's the reason I named my fb page "Omigawdess"), but for some reason 'guys' doesn't rub me the way everything else does. in an ideal world it wouldn't be normalized, because gender either wouldn't exist or we'd have an actual unisex term, but I'm still going to pick and choose the battles that I want to fight as a feminist. Guys doesn't really bother me as much as man, mankind, and God. Maybe because guys is more of a slang to being with.

By me

Guys is the modern version of Man, Mankind..., and this is far from an ideal world.

By me, on a comment made by Lillsa Graham

 '' better than "hey bitches", that shit i'm tired of.'' - Well yeah, worse situation for everything can always be found...

By me, on a comment made by Monica Wallis

 '' I call all misogynists assholes, be they male or female'' - You should also start putting this lists in alphabetical order, rather than sticking with certain conventions.

By me, on a comment made by Monica Wallis

''I wasn't sticking with convention. I was putting it in order of misogynist blame.'' - I say though, if you do that, it needs to be done along with a statement, if it is to have some effect, because people are generally unaware of subtle forms of sexism, and don't feel blamed at all, if somebody responds to them, using the same subtle forms of sexism. 

By me, on a comment made by Monica Wallis

You took my comment out of context. I was expressing a personal difference in visceral reaction to "hey guys" vs "man" "mankind" "The Lord" and "His Will" etc. I agree about gendered terms. I don't see why a need for a separate thread picking out my comment, but anyways.

By me

 '' I don't see why a need for a separate thread picking out my comment'' - Because, I was in the process of updating my blog, with my responses, to more the usual comments people make about this topic, and I wanted to make a discussion to see what more comes up. 

As well at that, comments made in public belong to the public. Some forget that, when posting on the internet. And, anything which can negatively affect women will concern feminist activists and they WILL respond to it. 

Your visceral reaction: Feminism is more about what affects the needs, rights, autonomy... of half the world's population, rather than how traumatized any particular individual currently is or isn't, about any aspect of the oppression. All sexism is serious, and all of it negatively impacts women.


By somebody else, somewhere else

We miss you guys

My comment

Hey girl!
Can we all be girls, instead of guys?

Discussion comments, from the following facebook page. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/395416773902785/397555543688908/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

What is wrong with sexist language? Read this blog.

http://thegirlgod.blogspot.de/2013/06/sexist-language-matters-heres-why.html

Masculinising all positive personal characteristics by default is part of systematic oppression, and it is more powerful that many realize. Words matter!
Dick swinging
Man up
Have the balls
Wear the trousers

'' Language is a powerful tool that we take for granted as benign; however, it is anything but.  Language has a profound effect on our brains.''
From http://shehasthepower.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/surviving-the-agent/


Is there an email address or something, to contact Google?

One thing facebook actually did right, a long time ago when they used to do things right was list gender as Female Male, as it should be, because that is alphabetical order, on the form for users of the site to fill in their details, unlike Google who are using the conventional Male first order. I think, now that some are changing, Google + should be prompted in that direction too.

As well as that, they should lose the 'maiden name' option, since there isn't even a word for men's former names if they change their name to hers on getting married. Considering this, I think Google is contributing to the pressure women are under to follow accepted customs which reduce their identity and visibility.